The following are a very small handful of songs that have special meaning to me and/or I associate with special memories - be it through the melody, the lyrics, etc; and I'd like to share some of them with all of you now. These songs are young and old; and not surprisingly, include a lot of Olivia Newton-John lol. For some, I have a favorite lyric; and for others, it's the song as a whole.
I always have felt that music is a perfect way to get to know someone; a way to learn what makes them 'tick'. I hope this gives you a little insight into who I am, in the way that only music can.
(ps: My dear friend Chad was the inspiration behind this… and these songs are in no particular order.)
Song: "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister
Why this song is special to me: Growing up and having several operations on my legs, I needed to do a lot of at home physical therapy. One of them included stretching my muscles for a certain amount of time. My dad made a "box" for me, so I could stretch both legs at the same time while standing. It had a place to put my feet and was completely open in the back, with straps to hold me in and keep my legs from bending. (It was a lot more comfortable then it sounds lol) Many times I'd ask to have it in my room, so that I could listen to the radio. And almost every time, "Broken Wings" came on. The song just really put me in a zone and I'd find myself singing along all the time, taking my mind off what I was doing.
Favorite lyric: "Take these broken wings and learn to fly again, learn to live so free. When we hear the voices sing, the book of love will open up and let us in."
Song: "Don't Stop Believin'" by Olivia Newton-John
Why this song is special to me: Yes, this is an ONJ song and of course, that in itself is obvious as to why it's special. Once again, it goes back to when I was younger and needed to have operations. My Uncle, who is a huge ONJ fan and is the person 'responsible' for introducing me to her music, would make a mix tape of various songs (mostly Olivia) for me whenever I needed an operation. She would soothe me, comfort me and keep me focused - even at that young age. To this day, I can remember every song on that tape and this was the first on side A.
Favorite Lyrics: But on those days when nobody wants to know you. And all your smiles keep falling on stoney ground. Don't stop believin', don't stop believin'. Don't stop believin', you'll get by. Bad days, bad days will hurry by
Song: "Angel Eyes" by The Jeff Healy Band
Why this song is special to me: My Uncle was a drummer in a local rock/cover band in the early 80's called The Eclipse. This was the song he sang solo on. Whenever I hear it, I think of him.
Song: "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac
Why this song is special to me: Everything behind this song is special to me., from the melody to the lyrics. It speaks to me on an emotional level.
Song: "I'll Be There" by Jackson 5
Why this song is special to me: New Kids on the Block sang this on the UCP Telethon back in 1989 and because of that, the song will always have a very special place in my heart. It makes me tear up, every time I hear it.
Favorite lyric: "Let me fill your heart with joy and laughter. Togetherness is all I'm after. Whenever you need me, I'll be there…"
Song: "The Impossible Dream" covered by Luther Vandross
Why this song is special to me: I feel as if this song could be my life's soundtrack. It speaks to me on many different levels.
Favorite lyric: "…that one man, scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage, to reach the unreachable star."
Song: "She Moves Me" by 24E
Why this song is special to me: The moment I heard the music and listened to the lyrics, I was immediately hooked. I knew I had just been introduced to something extremely special. Little did I know just how special these guys would be to me, that they'd impact my life so profoundly and would soon become my extended family.
Favorite lyric: "Illumination flies through the sky, my destination is her design."
Song: "Serenity" by Olivia Newton-John
Why this song is special to me: This song, which is based on the "Serenity Prayer", helped me through something very traumatic that happened a few years ago. It offered me strength and hope.
Song: "Instrument of Peace" by Olivia Newton-John
Why this song is special to me: This song, based on the St. Francis of Assisi prayer, helped me through a very difficult time for me and my family in 2006 when my Grandma was very sick and then passed away.
Song: "Single" by New Kids on the Block
Why this song is special to me: This is the NKOTB 2008 reunion song for me… the year that my 20 year dream came true.
Favorite Lyric: "Let my song get you higher, we never have to come back down."
Song: "High Hopes" by Frank Sinatra
Why this song is special to me: My Grandpa Ennis was a big Frank Sinatra fan (as well as Louis Armstrong and Sammy Davis Jr; all of whom are favorites of mine too) and he used to sing this song to me as a kid. He passed away when I was 11 years old.
Song: "Hear Me In The Harmony" by Harry Connick Jr.
Why this song is special to me: My Aunt Jane was a big Harry Connick Jr. fan and in turn, rubbed off on me. This was a favorite of hers. She has since passed away, but this song always makes me think of her.
Favorite lyric: "…but it's really hard to sing when nobody hears your song. Just close your eyes, you can hear me in the harmony."
Song: "I Can't" by Deborah Gibson
Why this song is special to me: To me, this song showcases Deborah's talents in a way many of her previous songs have not, both lyrically and meloically. It makes me proud to be a fan.
Favorite lyric: "You're the drink that makes me thirsty, but I crave you just the same."
Song: "Finale B" from the Rent Soundtrack
Why this song is special to me: Everything about this musical and this song in particular touched my life very deeply. Therefore, I cannot pick a favorite lyric.
Song: "Love Song" by Joe McIntyre
Why this song is special to me: It is simply a hauntingly beautiful love song.
Favorite lyric: "I lean on the razor and I bleed on the paper, but I'm still getting all the words wrong."
Song: "Here I Am Lord" (Artist unknown)
Why this song is special to me: This was my Grandma Ennis' favorite song to sing in church and I often find myself singing it (including right now as I type this). The melody is so simple, yet beautiful; as is the song as a whole. It always calms me, both in singing it and most importantly, as a reminder that God is always here.
Song: "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe
Why this song is special to me: In 2006, when my Grandma Ennis' health was failing and she was very near the end, my cousin Jay took out his guitar and sang this to her, as we were all gathered around the hospital bed. Even though she could not speak by that point and the morphene had taken over, we all knew she was listening. The tear that was coming from the corner of her eye, shown us that. Two hours later, she passed away. He also performed that song at her funeral. To this day, I cry every time I hear the song.
Song: "The Prodigal (I'll Be Waiting)" by Amy Grant
Why this song is special to me: If you listen to the song and you will understand..
Song: "Lullaby In Blue" by Bette Midler
Why this song is special to me: This is a song about a woman who gave her child up for adoption and from "her" point of view.
Favorite lyric: The whole song touches me profoundly for very obvious reasons, but this lyric has always stuck out to me: "On your birthday, Mama's thinking of you, the child I never knew".
Song: "God's Will" by Martina McBride
Why this song is special to me: It is about a boy with a disability, who is brought into a loving foster home. It obviously hits me on a very personal level.
Favorite lyric: "In crayon red on notebook paper he'd written me and God love you".
Those are just a sample of some of the songs that have touched me and left an impression on my heart and life, in one way or another. I'd love to know what songs have made an impact on your life.
Always remember... Life is a Song, Love is the Music.
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please sign your name when leaving a comment. Thanks!